Monday, May 14, 2012

Moodle design and facilitation

The next task in our project was to design and develop Moodle activities to form the online component of a blended learning SES Induction program.  Each team member was assigned a topic from the induction program and asked to create engaging online activities to support the learning of new SES members.

To achieve this aim we spent two weekends together at SES HQ in Wollongong.  During the first weekend we focused on the practical skills required to create content and activities in Moodle.  The group completed the development of their topics over the next fortnight, after which we met again for a second weekend to critique the program as a whole, and learn about online facilitation.  We also formed groups and designed an evaluation strategy.

Now the group are busy refining their online activities in response to the critique and preparing to trial the online component of the induction in their region.  (Videos of the critique coming soon).  The evaluation of the induction program will be undertaken from three perspectives:
  1. evaluate the effectiveness of the training in meeting workforce needs
  2. determining the success of the trial
  3. evaluate the outcomes of the blended learning experience vs a face to face learning experience.
It will make interesting reading I'm sure!

We did 2 other activities during our face to face meetings - one was a validation which I'll write about in a separate post - and the other was discussion about where the skills and knowledge gained in this project might lead for each individual in our team.  The responses were positive and wide ranging.  The team have agreed to share their ideas as comments on this blog.


 Left to right, back row:  Patty Maxwell (Queanbeyan), Marina Chadiloff (co-facilitator), Warne Boulton (Ocean Shores), Jean-Mary Botfield (Moree), Sonya Oyston (Wollongong), Ann Brady (facilitator), Todd Burns (Wollongong), Robyn Barco (Aberdare).  Middle row:  Gaille Barr (Sydney), Deon Dowdy (Binjura), Trish Malone (Canberra), Mark Healey (Raymond Terrace).  Front row:  Danielle Devine (Jindabyne).  Missing:  Su Bowing (Kiama Community College - RTO representative)

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience this project has been! I can now take my training, assessment and facilitation skills to yet another level with the addition of the e-learning component, the technology and the skills I have learned through professional practice of online program development, facilitation and assessment.
    We have been introduced to the e-learning environment with moodle and blackboard, had the opportunity to practice with other learners our new found skills, and developed and trialed an e-learning induction course for SES. This week we will be testing our program with SES members to gain feedback on all aspects of the course with a view to adopting this technology and mode of learning across the state for other SES members.
    I can’t wait to get onto the next topic and start planning to roll e-learning out to the wider SES community. The benefits to me personally are immense with the acquisition of this qualification; I can go on to do further university study, or take my learning’s into other contexts, even take a new direction in my workplace. Most of all I look forward to being able to help my fellow SES members who live in remote areas of NSW and with the NBN rollout reach even the most remote learners and provide them with state of the art technology in learning.
    The best thing about this project is the journey, we have had fun while learning new skills and gaining new knowledge, we have had the opportunity to practice what we learned and soon the icing on the cake will be when we go and teach others what we know, creating a ripple effect across the SES membership and our VET environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann, I have surprised by the possibilities open to us in using the Webinar and e-learning technology. I have learned we can do far more than just produce an CD or DVD to send out to learners. The kinds of online interactive activities and assessments that we have the potential to create has amazed me. There is the potential to have far more rigor around assessments than I thought possible using online methods.

    This is a career booster for me as the skills you are teaching us are in high demand. What you have taught me has also allowed me to keep up to date with colleagues in other agencies. I am organising a webinar with a colleague in Sydney and he is going to participate in my webinar using his organisations smart-board. Normally I would have to travel from Wollongong to Sydney to meet with him face to face but by using technology we can meet via online video and share files, use chat and look at websites and documents without having to step out of our respective offices. This is going to save me about 4 hours of travel time just for this one meeting!!!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ann, I never thought that there would be an opertunity like this in SES.

    I have learnt so much form the program as well as the other participants through the course with face to face classes and webinars. This has opened up a whole new world of training and assessment that I thought I would never see, and to be a part of it has been an amazing journey. I just hope that this will continue to be a great journey for us all.

    ReplyDelete